Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The best banana bread ever!

This is my recipe for banana bread. I've revised it countless times over the past three years, and finally have the spices and texture just the way I like them. I've reduced the amount of sugar in the recipe, but also increased the fat content. I figure, if you're going to eat banana bread, it should at least taste good, right? :-)

(You can make a healthier version by substituting applesauce and/or plum puree [baby food] for the sugar and oil, and by using a low fat yogurt instead of whole milk yogurt. But it won't be as tasty and delicious!)

Maria's Super Fantastic Banana Bread
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 1/2 bananas, very ripe, mashed
1/2 cup whole milk yogurt (vanilla and maple flavors taste the best)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or 1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Combine dry ingredients. Make a well in the center, and add eggs, oil, mashed bananas, yogurt, and vanilla. Mix well, and pour into a buttered 9"x4" loaf pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips or nuts on top (if desired). Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Makes 12 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment