Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pork and Sausage Jambalaya

I found this recipe in a cooking magazine a couple of months ago, and it's quickly become one of our staple recipes. I don't remember which magazine it was or who even supplied the recipe -- I took a picture of the recipe with my phone, and printed it when I got home! It's not the best jambalaya I've ever had (that award goes to Big Ed's jambalaya at Milldale Baptist Church), but it is very good and it does taste like an authentic Louisiana recipe. :-)  (And, as an added bonus, it takes about half the time to cook as Big Ed's recipe.) 

Here's my fine-tuned version of the recipe. :-)

Pork & Sausage Jambalaya
olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 large green or red bell pepper, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 lb smoked sausage, sliced (beef, pork, turkey, etc all work fine)
3 cups uncooked white rice (brown rice doesn't work that well, but is okay to use)
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
5 cups low sodium chicken broth
28 oz can petite diced tomatoes
2 cups diced cooked pork or chicken thighs (chicken breasts will be too dry)**

In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat olive oil. Add onions, green or red pepper, and celery. Cook until browned, about 10 minutes. 

Add sausage to the pot, and cook for another 5 minutes. 

Add rice, paprika, red and black pepper, broth, tomatoes, and pork. Stir well, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 18-20 minutes or until rice is cooked.  Enjoy!

This is a really horrible picture, because it doesn't look appealing at all and actually looks kind of slimy, but trust me, it's GOOD. Try it for yourself!! 



**I usually cook the pork or chicken thighs in the crockpot the day before, so I don't have to deal with that extra step on the day that I'm making the recipe. I usually use 4 large boneless pork chops or 4 or 5 boneless chicken thighs, and cook them on high for 4 hours. Shred the meat when it's done, and set it in the fridge until you need to use it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment