This year, I volunteered to help out with our church's Vacation Bible School (or, VBS for short). The class I was selected to teach? Kindergarten. Eek! I was a little apprehensive at first, but there was a more experienced teacher available to help in the class, and we had most of the lesson plans outlined for us, so it really was not as nerve wracking as I anticipated.
Then, for the last 2 days of VBS, the other teacher was absent. Which meant that I was in charge of a group of 8 kindergartners -- all girls. All very fun, outgoing, and g-i-g-g-l-y. And on one particular day, every single one of them had ants in their pants and could not sit (or stand!) still for any reason. Which is fine, if you're outside or in the classroom. But not when you're supposed to be waiting quietly in the hall for another class to finish up at the next station!!
Sigh.
But we got through it, and then before I knew it, VBS was over for another year. I had fun teaching, but wasn't sure if I was cut out to try it again. Especially since I was still recovering from Wednesday night's shenanigans. :-P So I was surprised this morning when the VBS director thanked me for helping out last week, and said that she had received several positive comments from the parents about the class that I had helped to teach! She even said that I did a great job and that I would be welcome to teach again next year. :-)
It's funny how you can think that you're not doing a good job, when it turns out that other people see it differently. I encourage my kids several times a day -- whether it's encouragement for trying new things, or encouragement to do things that they have already attempted and failed before -- and it's easy to forget that the adults around us need encouragement, too! So try to make it a point to encourage someone this week . . . and see what happens!
No comments:
Post a Comment