Saturday, January 1, 2011

Mmmmmmm, carrot cake!!!

My hubby's birthday was this week! Every year I ask him what kind of birthday cake he wants, and he always says that he wants carrot cake. I made him one once a long time ago (I think it was right after our second anniversary!), but I finally decided to try it again this year. He does so much for me and the kids, and is more than deserving of a simple carrot cake. If that's what he wanted, then I was happy to make one and it was an easy way for me to show him my appreciation!!



I made the cake while the kids were napping, so they didn't get to help with that part. But they were up and around when I made the cream cheese icing -- definitely the best part of the cake!!



I used this recipe, but as usual, I didn't follow it exactly (recipes are more like a guideline, right?). The verdict? This cake is SO good that over half of it is gone already (less than 24 hours after we cut it!) and I am definitely not waiting another year before I make it again. :-)

Here is the recipe, with my additions/changes in bold.

Carrot cake:
4 eggs
1 cup canola oil
2 cups white sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
3 cups coarsely chopped carrots
1 cup chopped pecans (omitted, Hubby doesn't like pecans)

1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease two round cake pans.
2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, white sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Stir in carrots. Pour into prepared pans.
3. Bake at 350 for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean. Let the cakes cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack and cool completely.

Cream cheese icing:
6 tbsp butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups powdered sugar
1 cup chopped pecans (omitted)

In a medium bowl, whip butter, cream cheese and vanilla until fluffy. Add powdered sugar a little at a time and beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Frost the cooled cake and enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. Looks so yummy, Maria! Wish I could have a slice right now! I am sure Den enjoyed it. He is such a good hubby and daddy. I am glad we have him.
    I just thought of something funny (hopefully to you, too) about the icing-beaters picture. Imagine that these are musical instruments that the kiddies are playing "HB to Daddy" on. The thought made me smile. Oh, well, maybe you don't see it! :-)

    ReplyDelete