Monday, September 19, 2011

Meatless Monday: Peas and rice with spinach

In an attempt to keep our family a little bit healthier, we're going to try going meat-free on Mondays (check out http://www.meatlessmonday.com/). Not only will our arteries thank us, but so will our wallet! Plus, there's the added bonus of Meatless Mondays forcing me to start weekly meal planning again. :-)

I forgot about staying meat-free at lunchtime, and the kids each had a slice of turkey baloney with their lunch of pasta, yogurt, veggies, and fruit. Oops. But I remembered for dinnertime! We had zipper cream peas, white rice (I know, I know, but I hate brown rice!), and spinach sauteed with garlic and mushrooms. YUM.


Doesn't this look delicious? Oliver doesn't like cooked spinach, so he ate a handful of raw leaves instead. :-)


The kids cleaned their plates, with the exception of a few grains of rice. :-)


Are you planning on going meat-free on Mondays?

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I've been doing Meatless Mondays as well...definitely makes me think outside the box. We had brinner last night :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brinner sounds like a good idea for Meatless Monday, I'll have to remember that! I usually cook a meatless dinner once a week, but twice will be even better for us and hopefully will keep me from getting stuck in a food rut. :-)

    ReplyDelete