Mmm, I love fall baking, with the savory scents of cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon filling my house. It just makes you feel good inside to smell all of the yumminess baking in the oven. :-)
I made this pumpkin bread today and I ended up baking it for a little too long (recipe said to bake it for an hour and 10 minutes, but mine was done in about 40). It looked dry, so I made up a glaze to add a little bit of moisture and sweetness. The result? Super yummy, and reminds me a lot of carrot cake, but with less fat and calories. :-) Yum!
Pumpkin Bread
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup canola oil
3 large eggs
1 16-oz can pumpkin (the plain kind, not the "pie mix" kind)
2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
butterscotch chips (optional)
Preheat oven to 350. Spray 2 loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, combine sugars, oil, and applesauce, mix well. Add eggs and pumpkin, mix well. In a large bowl, combine flour, spices, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture, stir and mix well. Divide the batter into the loaf pans. Sprinkle with butterscotch chips if desired. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until done.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Topping
*keep in mind that I didn't measure anything as I added it!
about 2 heaping tablespoons of whipped cream cheese (regular, not light or fat free)
1 tbsp packed brown sugar
dash of cinnamon
skim milk
Stir brown sugar and cream cheese together until they're well mixed. Add cinnamon, and stir. Add milk, a little bit at a time, until it's about the consistency of yogurt. Spread on the top of your still-warm pumpkin bread and enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment