Friday, April 8, 2011

The Ultimate Protection Plan

If you say, “The LORD is my refuge,” and you make the Most High your dwelling, no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
Psalm 91:9-12

I've always loved that passage, because it's a reminder that God is always watching out for us. I can rest in the knowledge that He knows the best way to care for us and protect us! It especially comforts me as the mom of an inquisitive, adventure-seeking 4 year old boy. Lately Oliver seems to be getting more and more scrapes and bruises while trying new things. Recently, he even bonked or scraped his head every day for a week! Sometimes, you can tell when things might go wrong -- like hanging upside down on the monkey bars -- but other times you have no way of knowing that the next moment your heart will be in your throat. It's times like those that bring me to my knees and make me thank God for protecting my son. I want him to do the things that he wants to do (within reason, of course!), I want him to explore and see what his body can do, I want him to figure things out for himself. But most importantly, I want him to be safe. And while I can't put him in a bubble to protect him, I have God's promise that He will protect my Oliver. And if that's not the best bubble-wrap ever, I don't know what is. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this, Maria. I struggle with this on a daily basis. I'm a nervous wreck when Isaac is playing outside and so ANXIOUS when he's on a playground. Sometimes I've wanted to put him in a plastic bubble. Ah, to be mothers to little monkeys! haha

    ReplyDelete