Thursday, February 2, 2012

Salmon patties

Tonight for dinner, I made salmon patties using canned salmon. I've made fish patties before using frozen fillets, but it was pretty time consuming! Then the other day, a friend posted this recipe on her blog, and I decided to try it.

Now. I don't like canned fish. I grew up with my dad eating canned mackerel (and sardines, eww) a lot, and it just grosses me out. Plus, I remember a couple of times when I would open a can of tuna, and mixed in with the fish would also be some black specks that looked like crawfish eyeballs, and . . . . blecccch. Ewww. GROSS.

So I really didn't want to make fish patties using canned salmon, but I figured if my friend could do it, so could I. :-) I bought 2 cans from HEB, and then later in the week I bought an 8 pack of cans from Costco. I have to say, I like the Costco fish better. Actually, there was no comparison. The Costco fish was wonderful. It had a nice texture (a little firm, not mushy), almost odorless, no bones, and you could see the grain in the meat. The HEB fish was nas-tay. I will not buy it again. Not only was the silvery skin still on (EWWWW) but the meat was mushy, it smelled fishy, it was full of tiny little bones, and there were blobs of fat floating around in the can. It was so gross.

Eww.

Anyway. Back to the recipe!

You'll need:
15 oz of canned salmon, drained
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1/4 cup potato flakes (we happened to have some of these! not sure how old they were, but I used them!)
1/4 onion, finely chopped (I omitted the onion)
2 tbsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp dried dill weed (didn't have dill weed, so I used rosemary)
1/4 tsp celery salt (didn't have celery salt, I used basil)
1 tbsp lemon juice
s&p to taste
oliver oil

Carefully check the salmon and remove any bones. Combine all of the ingredients except olive oil, and mix well. Form the mixture into balls and press down into patties.



Heat the olive oil in a skillet, and cook the patties for 3-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.



Since Oliver and Buttercup love to help in the kitchen, I'd had hopes of them helping me shape the mixture into balls and patties, but after seeing the HEB salmon they both high-tailed it out of the kitchen (not that I blame them, I felt the same way!). Fortunately, they both thought the cooked patties were much more appetizing! Good thing I made a double batch. :-)



I served it with roasted brussels sprouts and rice. Yummy!


2 comments:

  1. LOL at the kids running out of the kitchen! I can't blame them either. But I'm glad that they enjoyed it. So the real question is...did you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did! Very tasty. The patties tasted just like the ones I would make with frozen fillets, so I'll probably used canned from now on to save time. I'm just going to buy the more expensive version to avoid the ick factor. :-)

    ReplyDelete