This hawk is apparently pretty cantankerous -- he attacked the keeper's shoe when the guy was hosing out his cage.
Then it was time to visit the trade counter. Oliver brought a cicada, a conch shell, a freshwater clam shell, a shell fossil, and a bird feather. He earned points for everything except the feather -- new migratory laws prohibit trading any type of bird-related item.
Mr. Mike, the trader, was very helpful and knowledgeable, and I was impressed with Oliver's ability to sit still and listen for almost 30 minutes! He earned a total of 115 points, which he had the option of saving, or using them immediately to trade for another item.
The first two times we visited the fossil room, Oliver told me he wanted to earn enough points to take home a cow skull -- worth 500 points. I asked him if he wanted to save his 115 points and bring in more fossils, shells, and bugs to earn that cow skull. He thought for a minute, looked around, and then (thanks to Daddy!) he picked out this neato deer antler instead! It has a place of honor in his "special" basket in his room, and I hope he'll remember for a long time what a fun morning this was. :-)
I had an absolutely delightful day with you guys on Saturday! Oliver's attentiveness to the "trader" enthralled me so much that I missed Buttercup demolishing the "touchable" cicada shell on the table in the fossil room!! Hopefully someone will "trade" another one soon.
ReplyDelete