Last week Oliver had a week of Lego Robotics camp. His complaints after the first day was that 1) he was bored, and 2) he had to build exactly what he was told to build. Ha ha. I talked to the teacher, and she said that most of the kids preferred the "free build" time (building whatever they wanted to from a big pile of Legos on the floor), so she gave them more time for that instead of having them finish up their projects. As far as Oliver being bored -- on the second day, the teacher split his group up so that he was only working with 1 other kid, and that kid was more than happy to let Oliver build all of the projects by himself. Oliver definitely wasn't bored after that, and his group was still usually the first one to finish! :-) The only day they didn't finish early was the last day, when the big project was a very complicated crane. He needed the assistant teacher to help him with that one. :-)
Oliver is also making leaps and bounds with his reading these days. I counted up his sight words a couple of weeks ago, and he knows close to 200 words! And he picks up more every day. He's also able to use the combination of sight-reading and "sounding out" to read some pretty hard words! Of course Buttercup is interested in learning how to read now, too. ;-)
Buttercup is kind of having a hard time adjusting to not being in school right now. She just craves routine and being around her peers! At the beginning of summer vacation, she would ask me every day if it was a school day, and then she would be sad for a while when I said no. :-( Poor girl! I filled up our calendar with playdates and trips to parks, pools, and splash pads to keep her occupied, but now it seems like she's still sad to be out of school, and is also tired from running around town so much. So now she's mad all the time. We just can't win! But it'll pass. I remember her going through a phase very similar to this last summer. It lasted about a month, so I guess we have another 28 days of this. Ha ha.
Theodore is having a very fun summer, just going with the flow as usual. He's so easy going! The only thing he really doesn't like is going to the splash pads, because he doesn't like it when water sprays him in the face. Poor kiddo! He loves going swimming though -- I hold him on my hip and he splashes the water with one arm and wears himself out. :-)
Here are some pictures of the three of them being crazy in the sun room this morning. :-)
Great pics! B's hair is getting long.
ReplyDeletePierce has been having a hard time adjusting to not being in school as well. I finally started giving him school work to do for 30 minutes at a time twice a day and he likes that much better. LOL.