Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Picky, picky

Like most 3 year olds, Oliver is getting to be pretty finicky about what he likes to eat. Gone are the days when I could prepare a meal (of my choice), set it in front of him, and have him eat every bit of it and ask for more. Granted, he does eat pretty well for this stage, but he only eats about 20-30 different types of food, and only prepared a certain way. And, sadly, fruit and vegetables are the enemy. Strawberries are the only fruit that he requests, and even then he doesn't always eat them.

So I've taken it upon myself to make fruit and vegetable snacks more interesting and appealing to him. Last week I made an apple butterfly snack for him, which he devoured (and actually asked for more!).

Today I tried something different. I got up early and made "flowers" out of grapes, cream cheese, two peas, and a green bean.














For Buttercup, I made baby "flowers" out of blueberries and cream cheese.















The verdict? Oliver was very excited to see his plate, but he only ate the cream cheese and peas, then refused to eat anything else. Sigh. But an hour later, he asked me to make him a butterfly out of a banana and peanut butter, and he ate all of it, so there is hope! :-)

1 comment: