Monday, February 21, 2011

Oven-fried talapia

This is one of the recipes that I used to make about once or twice a month, but it never turned out just right. I've used it for chicken and fish, and usually the meat would end up dry while the crust would be goopy.

Then, the other afternoon, I tried the recipe again with chicken, but was rushed for time and ended up baking it at a higher temperature. And guess what? It turned out SO much better than before! The chicken was juicy and tender (we didn't even need knives to cut it), and the crust was crispy and crunchy. I tried it again tonight, with fish this time, and got the same results. Fabulous!

Here's the recipe, using tilapia. If you use chicken, you'll need to bake it for about 15-17 minutes. As a side note, I almost never measure ingredients when I cook, so this is my best estimation . . .

Oven-fried Tilapia
6 boneless tilapia filets
1 1/2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp dry ranch seasoning
1 tsp ground mustard
parmesan cheese

Move top oven rack to the upper level. Preheat oven to 450. Spray a 9x13 glass baking dish with cooking spray. In a shallow dish, mix all of the dry ingredients, excluding parmesan cheese. Dip the fish in the dry ingredients, coating each side. Lay each fillet in the baking dish (it's okay if the sides touch). Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until fish flakes apart easily. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment