Friday, January 27, 2012

Beef stew (slow cooker recipe)

I used to be too afraid to try to make stew. Something about it just seemed too . . . grown up, or out of my league for me to be able to make it. I don't know why! But I found this recipe in my Taste of Home Slow Cooker recipe book, and I've made it twice and I really like it! I'm proud to say that I feel like a competent stew-maker now. :-)

Beef Stew
2 pounds new potatoes, scrubbed clean and quartered
2 pounds lean beef stew meat
4 medium carrots, sliced (I actually use several big handfuls of baby carrots, to save time)
2 medium onions, sliced
3 celery stalks, sliced
1 15 ounce can tomato sauce, or 1 6 ounce can tomato paste + 8 ounces of water
1 cup water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Place the potatoes in the slow cooker first, then top with beef, carrots, onion and celery. In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over the vegetables.

Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours, or until veggies and beef are tender.


2 comments:

  1. Maria, indeed you should feel like a competent stew-maker, because this stew was as tasty as any I have ever had! I'm glad that I got to eat some of this yummy dish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL at not feeling competent about it! You're silly :) Well this looks delicious and totally something that kids would accept. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete