This was my 3rd time running this race, and although I hadn't put as much effort into training for it as before (only running 15-20 miles per week this time around, as opposed to 35-45 in previous years, and not doing any speedwork this time around), I felt fairly confident that I'd either be able to finish under 1:40, or at least under 1:44 (8:00 minute pace). At any rate, I was 100% sure that I would not be any slower than my first half marathon (1:44:26). (Famous last words!)
I was so nervous when I woke up, and I didn't feel like eating anything but nibbled on a Clif bar before I left the house so my stomach wouldn't be totally empty. I also grabbed an extra energy gel to take before the race in case I felt like it, but my stomach was so tied up in knots that just the thought of eating it made me feel like puking!
The race started out really well. I felt good (although I was still a bundle of nerves!) and the weather was perfect (high 30s, dry, no wind). I started just in front of the 1:40 pace group, intending to hang near them for the race so I'd meet my goal.
Mile 1: 7:58 . . . dodging runners in front of me
Mile 2: 15:26 . . . big downhill
Mile 3: 23:xx . . . starting to feel warmed up
Mile 4: 30:47 . . . feeling like I was hitting my stride, although I was starting to get a little hungry
Mile 5: 38:18 . . . still feeling good, but definitely needing some energy and in desperate need of water
Mile 6: 46:xx
Mile 6 was where the wheels started to come off. I stopped at a water stop to drink a cup of Gatorade and eat my first gel (I am not coordinated enough to do either of those while running), and my right hamstring was so tight when I started running again. :-( I stopped briefly to stretch it, but it never loosened up again during the race, so I wasn't able to get my stride back. I was still a minute or so under 8:00 pace though, so I felt like I could make it.
Mile 7: I missed the mile marker, so I don't know what my time was. I do remember that this was around the point that the 1:40 pace group blew by me like I was standing still. Whoops!
Mile 8: 1:02:xx . . . only 5 miles left to go, and I was starting to feel pretty tired but could see the light at the end of the tunnel. I walked through another water stop. Still under 8:00 pace!
Mile 9: 1:10:56 . . . I was praying all through mile 8 that I would make it to the mile 9 marker before 1:11! :-)
Mile 10: 1:18:xx . . . I was definitely tired of running at this point. I felt like I needed my last energy gel, but I didn't feel like eating it at all. A cup of Gatorade helped me feel better, but my hamstring was really bugging me and I gave up on running and walked for about a minute before running again. About 100 people passed me while I was walking.
Mile 11: 1:28:xx . . . I just wanted it to be over! My hamstring was hurting, I couldn't extend my leg, and all I could think about was how 2 years ago I had less than a mile left at that time, and this time around I still had a little over 2 miles left. I was d-o-n-e and couldn't even remember why I liked running in the first place. I started walking again and was immediately passed by 25-50 people. Every time someone passed me, I felt a little more annoyed with myself for walking and could just see my finishing time sink lower and lower on the list of results. Right about that time, a tall woman with a pink shirt and bright green knee socks ran up behind me, slapped me on the back and told me to keep going. I was grumpy and really didn't want to start running again, but I could see her ponytail bobbing above everyone in front of me, and figured I might as well try to keep up, because at least then I'd be finished faster than if I kept on walking. :-)
Mile 12: 1:37:xx . . . I started feeling better and better, and my hamstring even started to feel not quite as tight, so I was able to run a little bit faster. And there were more and more spectators cheering the runners on, which also helped! Finally, finally, finally there was the last turn and the finish line was up ahead.
Mile 13.1: 1:46:03 (official time) Whew, I was SO GLAD TO STOP RUNNING, ha ha ha!
So, I didn't meet any of my goals, and I also ended up with a new personal worst, which I was least expecting! But what's really great is that I am just so thankful for being able to run, and that is such an answer to prayer. I'd much rather have a slow time or a bad race and end up with the right attitude, than be the way I used to be. God is so good! :-)
And, while I had a personal worst finishing time, I ended up running the race at 8:06 pace -- which is about 15 seconds per mile faster than any of my long runs in the past 18 months. :-) I will admit though, I was pretty disappointed with my time at first and was expecting a time much closer to my previous race times. But for those races, my babies were older (and sleeping through the night!!), and I only had 1 or 2 babies and could take them out in the running stroller whenever I felt like it. That makes a big difference!
I'm looking forward to taking a couple of days off of running, but I'm also already looking forward to next year's race!
Congrats! Hope the hammy is doing okay now.
ReplyDeleteI ran about 5 personal worsts the year after I had the twins. It was discouraging BUT eventually you get back the speed :-)