We have had an abundance of sibling love at our house lately. Of course it's not always like this, but it makes these sweet moments that much more special! Here's a cute story that happened yesterday morning:
The older two kids and I spent all of the baby's naptime playing at the table with their Playmobile sets. After Theodore woke up, we didn't have much time left for errands and running around outside before lunch. It was such a gorgeous morning that we couldn't not spend some time playing outside, so I cut the errands short and we headed to the trail for a short (30 minute) walk.
Oliver wanted to explore, so we headed off of the trail and down into an area we hadn't been to yet. We found lots of cactus, rocks that were the perfect size for throwing, a trickling creek, and lots of sticks for floating in the water. Oliver got right down to business tossing sticks in the water while Buttercup looked for just the right rocks to throw.
Then Buttercup went over to where Oliver was and started pulling sticks out of his hand to throw.
Instead of reacting angrily, my sweet boy instead let Buttercup take the sticks, and then he pulled several sticks out from under the larger rocks and put them in a pile for her. She thanked him, and they went on throwing sticks.
A little while later, Oliver got tired of throwing sticks and started wandering around in the wooded area. Buttercup decided to follow him, but she needed to cross over a fallen tree branch first. She asked me for help, but I couldn't help her since I was on the other side of the creek, holding the baby. Oliver overheard us talking, and he ran back to help his sister without being asked. And not only that, but he also knew immediately how to help -- he stood on the tallest part of the branch so that she could just take a big step over it! Buttercup thanked him again, and I said, "Isn't he a sweet big brother??" Oliver said, "Yeah, I know, I know. I don't need a hug though, I'm too busy for that stuff." :-)
Then when it was time to leave, the kids had a race from the creek back up to the trail to head home. Oliver was ahead of Buttercup, and then he fell and scraped his leg on some rocks. And my sweet girl said, "Oliver, I'll pray for you for Jesus to make your leg feel better!"
My sweet kiddos make their mama so proud! :-)
Check out The Mob Society for more positive posts about boys in their weekly Let's Hear It for the Boys linkup!
"yeah, I know I know. I don't need a hug though, I'm too busy for that stuff" . I love this!! Such a boy!
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Sounds like your boy is his sister's hero! I'm always trying to encourage my boys to be heroes for me and my daughter. They fill the role quite well. :)
ReplyDeleteSweet kiddos!
ReplyDelete