I like to run, and I think of myself as a runner. However, I don't consider myself to be a "hardcore" runner. If I were to categorize my running style, I would say that I'm actually kind of a lazy runner. I like to do speedwork, but it's easy for me to talk myself out of doing long runs and short, easy runs. I didn't want to run a marathon for the longest time because I didn't want to have to put in the effort of doing a 3 to 4 hour long run every weekend! That is a really, really, really long time to run.
But, as it turns out, running that long in preparation for a marathon might not be such a great idea after all. I found this article today, and it really makes a lot of sense to me -- it suggests that faster runners only need to run 2.5 hours for a pre-marathon long run. I ran my first marathon with a long run of only 2 hours and 8 minutes and ended up finishing with an okay time. It's all just very interesting! Good to have more food for thought before I decide on a training plan for my fall marathon. :-)
I love how you're so modest. Finished with an "ok time". Girl, you BQ'd! Some people spend their whole running lives striving for that goal! :)
ReplyDeleteI think that article does make a lot of sense for someone like you, for sure.