This week's post is about tonight's dinner -- bean enchiladas! They're relatively easy to make, and the kiddos loved smashing the beans for me. :-)
We started with dried red beans.
The beans soaked overnight . . .
. . . then this morning, Oliver helped me rinse the beans before they simmered in the pot.
After the beans cooled down, it was time for the fun part! Turns out that mashing beans is almost as much fun as dancing to "The Twist".
Buttercup preferred to eat her beans instead, although later she did smash them . . . all over the countertop.
Then it was time to add cheese and tomato sauce.
Look at that face -- he's concentrating hard on stirring it just right! :-)
Then it was time to scoop the beans onto the tortillas and roll them up.
Oliver pretty much lost interest in helping as soon as I opened the bag of tortillas -- "Can I have one? Can I eat one right now?" -- so I finished rolling up the rest of them while Oliver ate and Buttercup flung spoonfuls of beans onto the floor.
Voila!
Any suggestions for what we should cook next week?
They were tasty (I am not talking about the kids)! Next you should cook liver and onions!
ReplyDelete