Saturday, April 10, 2010

Finally, a good run!!

Lately, I've been feeling like a slacker in the running department. Ever since my IT band injury in December, I've only been running 15-20 miles per week, and I just haven't been feeling like I've been running to the best of my ability. Then after the marathon in February, I started swimming and cut back on running even more -- partly because I was afraid I would get re-injured, partly because . . . well, I was tired of running. ;-)

But as it turns out, taking a break from running seems to be just what I needed.


For the past 2 weeks I've been slowly adding in mileage and speedwork, but I've been feeling overdue for a good run. You know, one of those runs that makes you feel invigorated, powerful, and full of energy; the kind of run that doesn't happen very often, but when it does, you are so thankful for it. And it turns out that this morning's run was that kind of run! What's funny is that I almost didn't go running, because I couldn't drag myself out of my nice, warm bed early enough. I had intended to try a 12 mile long run this morning, but by the time I got dressed and ready to go, I only had 1 hour to run before I had to be back home. That left me just enough time for an easy 8 miles. But after 1 easy mile, I was feeling really good and ready to run, so I decided to turn my 8 miler into a time trial! I ran 1 mile easy, 2 miles at 10k pace, 1 mile easy, 1 mile at 10k pace, and then 3 miles easy, for a total of 8 miles, and I got back to the house in 1 hour and 5 seconds. Wow, God was totally with me out there and it was just an awesome run. It was a beautiful morning, and I had so much fun, and I'm so thankful that God has given me the ability to do something that I enjoy so much! I can't believe that I managed to run 3 miles at 6:40 pace. Just can't believe it. It was definitely one of those runs that I'll remember for a long time.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you accomplished a memorable run.... but more than that, my dear one, I am so very glad that you give God the credit for that accomplishment. It is a mother's true joy to see and know that her children walk in His ways and honor Him. My heart leaps each time I see this in my offspring. <3

    ReplyDelete